my sister, capped

9:01 AM Monday, December 05, 2005

Because my Dad was busy, and my Mom wasn't here, the duty to witness my sister's capping ceremony (she's a Nursing student) fell onto me.

And though I forgot flowers for my sister, we were armed with a divicam as we strained our necks trying to spot her from all the bunned heads at the Plenary hall last Saturday.

Only, the ceremony took a really long time. And with over 400 students getting capped and pinned, twas a good thing I brought along the book I was re-reading (Needful Things). JRA fell asleep since there were 10 sections and my sister was in the 7th.

*~*

Looking around, one can't help but wonder about how many of the parents there sent their child to become a Nurse because it was what their kid wanted... and not because they were hoping a nursing stint will be their child's ticket abroad.

And of the 400+ students there, how many will really graduate?

Worse, how many will pass the Nursing Board here?

And how many will pass the Nursing Board in the US?

How many parents will have their hopes crashing down when a child fails to deliver?

And how much of the child's failure to deliver is due to a system of education that has been failing to really deliver?

Actually, all my sister's life, I was egging her to be a doctor. She seemed to like the idea anyway. Care-giving was one of her strong suits. But I guess she didn't feel confident enough.

As it is, her course schedule has been depriving her of both sleep and meal times.

Well, our plan anyway is to have her graduate... and then work in a hospital abroad. She and my cousin Adri are both US migrants anyway, so they can easily seek employment there.

After the exposure, and while working in the hospital setting as a nursing aide or whatever else, they can both review for the Nursing Board (NLEX?).

Hopefully, they'd be more prepared and trained then for it.

(then again, my sister was already being courted to work for a hotel last May, but we all wanted her to get a degree)

*~*

JRA notices:

Female nurses get to wear a cap. And they were called CAPPIES.

Male nurses get to don a pin. Shouldn't they be called PINNIES?

*~*

By the way, more on my sister.

*~*

And I can't help but feel nice about all the golds we're winning at the SEA games.

And feel really bad trip about Garcillano's seeming righteous indignation about being caught in an election scandal. The nerve! (wonder what he knows to be valuable enough for Moslems to protect him so)

0 comments:

Post a Comment